Diary of an Aging Pervert: Addictions

Diary of an Aging Pervert

ADULT CONTENT WITHIN. People describe me as a really nice guy. Fuck that shit.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Addictions

Don asked me if I believe in sexual addiction. Being the kind of guy who always find his answers somewhere in the middle ground, my response is "yes, but..." Actually it's "no, but..."

I do believe in addictions. Drugs. Alcahol. Cigarettes. And i usderstand the reasoning, or logic, behind expanding the definition of the word to other compulsive behaviors. Sex. Food. Rage. Thrills. Shopping.

But, I believe we've watered down the meaning too much. I think we use the word addiction too loosely in order to excuse any bad behavior that we don't have the courage or strenght to overcome. Or more to the point, in order to avoid summoning the courage or strength overcome it.

I think that's sort of what was going on in Carla's situation. Robert was using the word addiction as a way of accepting Carla in liggt of what she had done, a way of maintaining hope in their relationship.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

Interesting blog...well said, and I'd have to say I agree...although I'm not sure where that leaves me...without an excuse I s'pose ;-)

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home